Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Poem by Heart

There was a game my sisters and I used to play on the hall way steps called, “Button, button, who’s got the button?”  We would start at the bottom of the stairs and the goal was to guess which sister had a button hidden in their hands behind their back.  If you guessed right, you moved up a step: if you were wrong, you moved down a step.  About the time I was halfway up the stairs, I’d break out into a poem.  A poem I knew by heart…

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair
Where I sit.
There isn’t any
Other stair
Quite like
It.
I’m not at the bottom,
I’m not at the top;
So this is the stair
Where
I always
Stop.

Read the full poem HERE.

There’s something about poetry that can excite children in unexpected ways.  It has to do with the rhythm and the playing with words that requires them to pay really close attention to what the poem truly means.  There are poems written on just about any topic and in many styles – from funny, rhyming, in shapes, or with two voices! Best of all, poetry is the perfect size… It travels well and makes for a great reading between dashes to soccer practice or while waiting for the vegetables to cook before supper is ready.  Here’s a little poem to encourage you to savor some poetry.

How to Eat a Poem

By Eve Merriam

Don't be polite.
Bite in.
Pick it up with your fingers and lick the juice that

may run down your chin.
It is ready and ripe now, whenever you are.
You do not need a knife or fork or spoon
or plate or napkin or tablecloth.

For there is no core
or stem
or rind
or pit
or seed
or skin
to throw away.

Here is a link to a website that has 12 links to sites filled with creative ways to encourage your child read and write poetry.  Check it out!

2 comments:

Kim Oldenburgh said...

Button, Button...was a game played in my family as well-but we played it a bit differently. It's hard to explain here. I love your version!
The poems are great. We are in the midst of poetry right now. My kids are beginning to see the world like poets-I intend to blog about it but I'm quite sure no one is reading my blog! How to Eat a Poem story: Each year, my kids have to fall in love with a poem and perform it for the class. Last year one of my students did that poem. She brought in a rectangle pancake and had food colored the word POEM on it and ate the pancake as she recited the poem. It was precious! I love your blog.

Learning for ME said...

Isn't it great to see how students will respond to poetry when given the opportunity!